Friday, June 17, 2011

Let the Peeling Begin

You get sunburned, you peel. It’s a fact of life. Like death and taxes.

But let’s face it – it’s pretty disgusting.

Now I know that I been talking lots about my sunburn this week. (It’s given me so much no dankes ammo!) But I will say, I honestly thought I was in the clear – that I’d be sans peely skin.

Boy was I wrong.

It started this morning. My coconut lotion (that they discontinued, goddamn Bath & Body Works!) wasn’t enough to stave off the skin shedding. Apparently there is no creamy concoction on the face of the earth that will prevent sunburned skin from peeling. Bleh!

Sunburns are fairly frightening for many reasons. But losing layers of your epidermis is definitely up there. The fact that a massive, glowing orb of fiery gas makes your skin turn red then SHED is scary, yo!

But I shall say it again: I love being tan. Sucks! Why’s it gotta be so bad for you! Or, rather, why does our society perceive bronze to be beautiful and pale to be plain?

I digress. The point is:

Why does dermis delaminate?

We are not snakes. We are not turtles. We are not iguanas. Why, then, does our sunburned skin have to peel off in layers? Thin, dehydrated, opaque, shriveled, withered layers.
There’s no stopping it. In the shower, you exfoliate. You think you’ve gotten it all off. Then as soon as you get out, there’s more. It proliferates, propagates, multiplies. It’s never-ending. The more you strip, the more there seems to be!

Fine, fine, FINE Apollo. I gots your point, yo!
Sunscreen upon sunscreen it is.

PS - I secretly like peeling it off. I enjoy playing that game where you see how big of a piece you can strip away. Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment