Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Daylight Savings Depression

As if the dead leaves are not enough. As if the cold weather, the necessity of wearing coats and scarves and boots is not enough! Oh no. Now it has to start getting dark early.

Spring ahead, fall behind. Fall behind - so depressing! So depressing.


I don’t understand why people like autumn. Sure, I did enjoy the long weekend in lovely East Bridgewater, MA (I love you, New England). There was apple picking and Ivy League football game watching and fire pits and partying in plaid with the Cobb family (thanks again!!) - and fine, I did enjoy it.

And I guess I’ll admit: I do enjoy Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Mellowcreme Pumpkins and Candy Corn (even if they all make my tum hurt).

But seriously, autumn is such a dead season. Everything coming to an end - Indian summer, twilit evenings, green leaves.


Why fall is anyone’s favorite season is beyond me.
(But yikes - so back and forth! Kelly’s family put forth such a concerted effort in convincing me to cross over to the dark side - what with their mulled cider and Oktoberfest and yard full of pretty red and yellow leaves. Fine. So maybe I like fall after all. But it is not, I repeat NOT my favorite season.)

Anyway, this is all besides the point. My most dreaded, most abhorred fact about the commencement of these never-ending, abysmal months is that - drumroll please - the days are shorter. That darkness creeps up and rears its ugly, ugly head before it’s even struck 5 o’clock.


Daylight Savings is one of the worst inventions ever. Arizona and Hawaii have the right idea - no need to set back the clock, to move the clock ahead. TO MESS WITH TIME!!!!!!
Sure, I get that there is a method to the madness. I understand the principle behind it. The need to add an extra hour for the farmers. But it’s the 21st cenutry and peeps aren’t really bringin in the ole harvest. And there is such a thing as electricity. So why do the rest of us have to suffer through the falling behind?

(And come on people - Daylight Savings doesn’t save electricity! People turn their lights on earlier in the evening! It wastes!)

There is nothing worse - nothing in the world worse than seeing the sun creep below the steel and glass horizon of Jersey City before the work day is over.


Nothing, I tell you.

It makes me not want to cook or clean or gym or TV or move. I want to just snuggle up under the covers and go to sleep. When the sun goes down, the day is ova.


Believe it or not, I was quite the athlete in high school. One day I came home after field hockey practice and, understandably, passed out. My mom called up to me around 7:00 and I JUMPED out of bed, tumbled down the stairs, and fell into the shower. I was going to be late, late, LATE for school!

After three minutes of scrubbing, I sped back upstairs and got dressed, panicked, cursing myself that I hadn’t done my homework - OMFG! The horror of not having an assignment completed.

But - oh, wait - it was actually 7pm, not 7am and I was not, in fact, late for school. Dinner yes, school no. Silly me.

It was the stupid, stupid Daylight Savings. Out to get us, I tell you. Messing up our internal clocks. Screwing with our heads. Precipitating seasonal depression en masse.

Let the countdown begin till spring. Fingers crossed we can make it till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment