Tuesday, June 15, 2010

When Life Gives You Artificial Ingredients, Make Beverages

Now that doesn’t sound as sweet as lemons making lemonade now, does it?

Of course not. Because what we throw down the ole gullet each and every day is not nearly as cut and dry as water, lemons, and sugar.


Oh no.


What we humans sip and slurp and gulp is certifiably gagable!


As I type away (for the first time in a long time, soweeee), I am drinking a Vitamin Water Zero. The flavor? “Squeezed Lemonade”. The ingredients? Unpronounceable. Unintelligible. And undoubtedly indigestible.

Fancy water aside, let’s see. (Unfortunately I was ready for a full-on bash fest...but those folks at Glacéau are smarties - they list the purpose of the indecipherables. I shall do no such thing).

Here we go: rebiana, erythiritol, calcium lactate gluconate, magnesium chloride, potassium phosphate, citric acid, “natural flavors” (such as...?),
gum acacia, glycerol ester of rosin, zinc gluconate.

Now I do appreciate Glacéau’s very, very clever attempts at marketing their poisonous product - their super witty copy and very pretty packaging (it’s shiny! - hah, maybe cause that makes the ingredients harder to read).

But why can’t they just bring us all back to their simpler days of crisp, delicious Fruit Water? It was by far the best brand out there. And so much healthier than anything containing “glycerol ester of rosin”.


Please peeps, I’m not all water all the time - far from it, in fact. I love me some DCL (ah hem, sorry, Diet Coke with Lime). I thoroughly enjoy coconut iced coffee from DD. Ginger Ale is a necessity on the weekends (made with “Real Ginger” - oh, OK Canada Dry, whatever you say). And fine, I do make vats of powdery, processed Crystal Light. Omgees, and root beer? I would have a love affair with A&W if I could.

So believe you me, I’m not preaching. I’m sure there are enough toxic, carcinogenic ingredients (and sugar...and saccharin) in my aforementioned faves to kill a newborn New York City rat.

Alas, that doesn’t necessarily mean imma stop drinkinem! It just means that I am filled with crippling disgust and remorse right before I take that first sip. Only the first one, though, cause after that I’m just floating away on a root beer float sized bubble.

It’s kind of funny that human bodies can function on nothing but coffee and Mountain Dew and Budweiser alone (case in point: Fred Schopp). How do they not shrivel up, all dehydrated and malnourished? Yikes.

It kills me how Coca Cola is portrayed as a thirst quencher. Oh I’m just dying of thirst - what oh what do I want to drink? Let me just reach for that syrupy little concoction that used to be made with cocaine and will surely give me hiccups and make my stomach bloated.

Oh yes, yes, good plan, very good plan!


Knowing what I know and reading what I read about the ingredients in beverages I consume, I’d like to say I’m good with water from here on out. But I’ll be damned, I know that when someone puts a fountain rootbie with no ice and a big straw in front of me, all my inhibitions will go straight out the window.

Some more drinks I love: birch beer, Hawaiian Punch, blue raspberry ICEEs, coffee from Wawa (and their flavored creamer!), fruit punch Gatorade, margaritas, blueberry beer, Tang, Five Alive, limeade, Cran-Apple, lattes, Capri Suns, did I mention root beer?

S
ome more drinks I loathe (besides Mountain Dew and Coca Cola if that wasn’t obvi): Dr. Pepper and its stupid 23 flavors, milk (especially milk that is stored in a cabinet and not a refrigerator), Pepsi, Sunny D, prune juice, all non-green varieties of Mountain Dew, Nestea, Red Bull, lemon lime anything, Jolt (remember that?)...

...I could go on (and on and on and onnnnn)...but I WANT YOU to tell me: what beverages do you loathe (or love - but loathing is more fun).

No comments:

Post a Comment