Thursday, March 25, 2010

Do Dankes: Kiss Me, I’m a Volunteer

vol·un·teer
– noun
1. a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.

2. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

3. an awesome, awe-inspiring human being.

If kindhearted volunteers didn’t exist, the impossibilities would be endless. Think about it. There would arguably be no Obama. Hundreds upon hundreds more lives might have been lost in Haiti. New houses may never have been erected in New Orleans.

And I don’t even want to think what America would be like without an (undrafted) military, or auxiliary police officers, or volunteer firefighters.

Volunteers really do make the world go round. Let’s hear it for the ‘teers!

I began donating my time when I was 15 (cannot believe that was over a decade
ago). Every Saturday for three years I volunteered at the Sharon Hospital Gazebo Gift Shop – usually back at the snack bar cause my 80+ year old co’s weren’t so very spry.

While I did not enjoy snarky New Yorkers asking if the coffee was “fresh” (my oh my how the tides have turned), I loved hearing stories of life in the Big Band Era.

Since dipping my toes in the volunteer pool, I’ve enjoyed a myriad of experiences. Some faves:

Helping women who were reentering the workforce pick out an interview outfit at Perfect Fit (yeah DZ!). Installing drywall, painting, hanging cabinets, and fighting off tumbleweeds at a Habitat for Humanity site in New Mexico with my friends Catie, Sarah, and Jackie, and Catie’s mom Lynn (lots-o-pics!) Bowling with and subsequently being stalked by my “Best Buddy” (I got a new Bud asap).

Then there was the Just for Kids after school program. I’ll never forget the look on those middle-schoolers faces when I introduced them to cream cheese and olives (disgust) or when I broke out a huge bag of Beanie Babies as BINGO prizes (delight).

There have been many other days and projects here and there but it’s been 5 years since I’ve done anything worthwhile. And lately, as you are well aware, I’ve noticed myself becoming a bit too cynical, a bit too snooty and negative and whiny. Helloooo, No Dankes!

Methinks I’ve become a bit too much like that fresh-coffee-seeking New Yorker I despised back in 10th grade.

I quarter-heartedly looked into community service days cleaning up parks, painting, helping kids with their homework...mostly with New York Cares. But nothing came to fruition.

Then Kelly Cobb, my idol (because let’s face it, she really seems to be just that, what with all these shout outs!), made it one of her New Year’s resolutions to start volunteering regularly. And, true to form, she discovered the.ideal.spot to donate her time: Housing Works Bookstore and Café.

She said, “It’s charming and I thought it looked like an Ivy League library...which was especially appealing in the fall when I made the resolution.”

A few months later, I followed suit. Every Sunday from 12-4, tired or chipper, hungover or hungry, I’m there. And honestly I notice a difference in my attitude. Well, at least for those four hours.

There are even some perks! We get discounts on books (!!!!!), free soda or coffee, AND we get the opportunity to volunteer at some super cool events, like the Hell’s Kitchen VIP Party earlier this week. (We saw a few of the Real Housewives of NYC, some Project Runway designers, and a few other celeb-annabes. You can see Kelly in the background of this pic and my stockinged, booted leg. To see more click here.)

There’s no high like a volunteer high...truly there isn’t. Volunteers are selfless. They’re noble. They’re inspiring. They’re gracious. They don’t dedicate their time seeking recognition or righteousness – they do it because they care.

Some of my other favorite idols: Trissi! Mi madre has spent every Tuesday for the past 13 years at the Noble Horizons Gift Shop. She was also head of the Nurse’s Association for 20 years (!!) AND she loves to donate...maybe because she also loves to collect. (Those Beanie Babies? Yeah that was her. Can you imagine where else I would have gotten them? She still has Rubbermaid trunks full…) 



My 11th grade history teacher, Mike DeMazza. This summer he will be volunteering at a school and orphanage in LeCanta, Haiti. UnBELIEVABLE! (Please send me a message if you would like to donate!!)

Melissa Presti, cubemate. Every Wednesday morning at 7:30 (yes, a.m.), she helps 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders with their reading. What a perfectly patient publishing angel!

Brad Pitt, because he looked hot building houses in Louisiana.

Everyone who has ever fought for our country. (Especially during World War II watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific...holy shit horrific).

Actually, you know what? I idolize all volunteers everywhere. There is nothing more honorable than donating your time to help others.

1 comment:

  1. love your blog :)


    xox


    Ginger

    http://gingerroxy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete