Monday, August 15, 2011

When One Needs a Vacation...From Vacation

One would think that the numero uno purpose of a vacation is to enjoy some good ole fashioned R & R.

At least that’s what I thought.

Granted, I knew there would be lots of drinking and sun time and fun times when I went to visit Cassie Cass in Charleston. But seriously, I’m still trying to recover from my five day jaunt to South Carolina.

Boy do those Southerners really know how to party! I live in New York City - the city that NEVER sleeps - but oh man, I'm still huffing and puffing and trying to achieve homeostasis.

I always thought it was funny when people would say they needed a vacation from their vacation. Funny in a very annoying, shut-the-hell-up kind of way. I'd smile politely at them, sure, but all the while I'd be laughing my inner-ass off at their outrageous brattiness.

A vacation from vacation? Seriously?

But now...I understand. Shit yo, yo comprendo. I've been so completely and utterly out of commission this past week. It's pretty very pathetic.


Why?!?! My parents went RV-ing this past weekend, camping at the Air Show in Rhode Island. They're tired today, no doubt. But they’re allowed to be. I, on the other hand, am NOT. Not allowed to be this tired a full week after my vacation ended!

For the past seven days, my limbs have weighed about as much as iron rods. My brain has been a pot of Cream of Wheat. Watery Cream of Wheat. I'm achy all over. So overtired that I can't sleep at night. I've been a zombie - a barely breathing, barely walking, worthless shell of a human being. 


The only reassurance that I am indeed alive is the certainty that, yes, I'm taking up space.

Alas, I gots it now. Hallelujah, I'm not such a judgmental person after all!! I get the "I need a vacation from my vacation" phrase and it's verifiable truth!!
A vacation from vacation is a necessary fact of life. I've become one of those spoiled, bratty people that actually have the audacity to say - out loud - that they need another vacation when they've only just returned from vaca!

So yes, I give you full permission to judge the shit out of me for my incessant whining. For saying that vacations upon vacations are a necessity.

One day, though, I hope you'll experience this phenomenon. And on that day, the judger shall become the judgee. And I shall say: Welcome to the club. 


It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment