Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Do Dankes: 27 Candles!

What do I want to be when I grow up?

I think about that question a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Probably more than someone in their late 20s should. But I suppose it’s fairly fair - at least according to those AARP commercials.


Nobody likes getting older. Every day that passes, every hour, every breath is one that brings us closer to our death. Morbid, yes. But also true.

Needless to say, I wasn’t looking forward to turning 27. Late twenties? Omfg. I seriously feel like it was just last year I was reading “Seventeen Things to Do Before You’re 17” in my high school library. When did I grow up? 


But I had such a wonderfully spectacular, fantastically fabulous, super fun filled weekend that I feel I can no longer complain about birthdays. Birthdays are awesome!


This was the first one in as long as I can remember that I forgot - literally forgot - to feel depressed. It was such an extravaganza filled with so much hoopla that there really was no time. And as much as I sing her praises all the time, I feel I must throw one more shout out Kelly Cobb’s way - she is the world’s
BEST best friend!

I don’t want to bore you with every single little detail - but here are some highlights:

It kicked off Thursday with a gallery/store opening in the East Village. There was a sangria fountain. Yes, a fountain full of sangria. What! As if that wasn’t enough, there was also a super cute oilcloth clutch purchase. There was dining al fresco. There was great conversation and lots of laughs. And that was only the beginning!


Friday ‘twas even lovelier! There was more al fresco dining - complete with white wine and strawberries in plastic cups. There was cupcakes from coworkers, a reading in Chinatown, DRINKS in Chinatown where the bartenders wore shirts THANKING us for coming to Chinatown. There was kick-ass nachos and Sam Summer.

And my birthday wasn’t for two more days!

Saturday my friend Sarah came all the way from DC. Manicures, pedicures, coconut ice cream cones and lunch - can you guess - outside! The weather was glorious.

There were party dresses and pretty ladies galore at my delicious bday dinner where I was sung to not once, not twice, but THREE times with THREE different desserts including a most delicious funfetti cake by Kelly. There were words describing me (Ri’s idea - so sweet!) ranging from “opinionated” (ha) to “Titanic” (amazing) to “generous”.

There was a big ole table being held outdoors at Bull McCabe’s and so many friends I can’t even list them (and let’s face it, I was a little tipsy by then so my memory isn’t 100%). Hugs and kisses, kisses and hugs! AND red velvet cupcakes my mom baked. There was late night Joe’s pizza where some someone thought Fred was Kyle Orton (QB for the Broncos) - without missing a beat Fred said yes, yes he is, and proceeded to take two pictures with the guy and his young son (it was amazing and kinda sad at the same time). (It is quite uncanny though - can you guess which one this is below?)

Yes, then there was some stumbling. Sarah asked Fred why he didn’t catch me and he said “You can’t catch a falling tree”. True. Before helping me up I told him to wait a second I wanted to take a bite of pizza first (at least I’ve got my priorities straight).

And all this before my ACTUAL BIRTHDAY. Omg, how lucky am I?


On Sunday there were phone calls and texts and Facebook posts galore. There was a not-so-hot brunch (helloooooo toilet) - but I perked up shortly thereafter. There was more outdoor drinking (hair of the dog that took a HUGE bite out of me), present opening (beautiful packages and BEAUTIFUL gifts), there were cards, cards, cards (my brother’s enclosed gift nearly gave me a heart attack, that generous sibling-o-mine!), and to top it all off there was a strawberry milkshake and burger at the Shake Shack.
Whew!

So this post was pretty much a huge list outlining how spoiled I am (cut knee aside). Not my intention to make ya’lls jealous! Just wanted to write a bit of an homage to my wonderful, generous, thoughtful, beautiful friends and family.

I guess I don’t need to worry too much about what I’m doing with my life cause as long as I’m surrounded by such great people I know that at least I must be doing something right.

1 comment:

  1. aww. fun to recount all the highlights! a majorly fun weekend, indeed!

    ReplyDelete